Job Title: Assistant Librarian – Arabic Cataloging
Reporting to: Librarian
The Assistant Librarian is responsible for managing daily operations within one or more areas of the library and for carrying out a variety of technical and administrative functions.
- Catalog all library materials including both print and non-print materials (both English and Arabic), using library software.
- Perform checking-in, checking-out and circulation of library materials
- Perform patron registration and transaction activities.
- Process new books, maintain circulation records and make reserves on requested books.
- Shelf read the collection to ensure materials are able to be retrieved quickly – processing and repairing materials as needed;
- Manage library data and reports utilizing library software systems.
- Maintain library materials including bibliographic and other library files.
- Assist readers in finding books and help students and faculties in research problems and reference questions.
- Maintain silence in the library, contribute to a positive, helpful, friendly, inviting environment for library users.
- Perform troubleshooting of library equipment including computers, printers, and photocopiers.
- Manage library inventory, perform stock checks, and prepare item list for withdrawal.
- Giving orientation classes to users on regular intervals for library uses and practices.
- Performs additional duties and projects as assigned by the Librarian.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Science (B.L.I.S. or comparable) from a recognized institution with 5-7 years’ experience.
- Thorough knowledge of AACR cataloguing and DDC classification rules (both English and Arabic), using OCLC FAST/LCSHs.
- Experience using computers, LMS, and library databases preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English & Arabic language.
- Must be adaptable to changing working hours and extended time (including weekends).
- Preference will be given to male candidates.
The jobs are open until filled.